Where to Find Pliny the Younger in Philadelphia (2013 Edition)
Every winter, Philadelphia beer fans play the annual game of tracking Pliny the Younger. This year, Russian River Brewing released the triple IPA on February 1, making it available to visitors at the Santa Rosa, CA brewpub through February 14 by only tapping a small amount each day.
Pliny the Younger is one of the highest-rated beers in the world, and also one of the most sought-after. This is partially because of the beer’s well-balanced flavor and body — extra impressive for a 10.5% ABV triple-hopped brew — but also because distribution is extremely limited. Outside of California, Russian River is distributed to a just few states: Oregon, Colorado and Pennsylvania (Philadelphia-area only).
When select bars do get their allotment of the special beer, they usually field lines of beer geeks eager to pay upwards of $12 for a small pour. We’ll be tracking news of PtY and will post updates on where to find it here, so bookmark this page and check back often. For an idea of what to expect, check out our Pliny the Younger list from last year. Let us know if you see it around by posting in the comments below, on Twitter or on Facebook.
Saturday, March 2
• City Tap House, 4 PM: $10 tickets for an eight-ounce pour go on sale at 4 PM on a first come, first served basis. Tapping at 5 PM.
Sunday, March 3
• Bishop's Collar, 11 AM: First come, first served.
Monday, March 4
• Local 44, 11 AM: First come, first served.
• Tria Wash West, noon: Newsletter readers had a chance to purchase a 10-oz. glass for $9 online, the rest will be served first come, first served (if there is any left).
Tuesday, March 5
• Iron Abbey (Horsham, PA), 8 PM: after the first 30 people to email for a place on the list finish, there will be around five glasses left for purchase.
Thursday, March 7
• South Philadelphia Tap Room, 2 PM: First come, first served.
Friday, March 8
• Sidecar Bar & Grille, 3:30 PM: 50 tickets sold starting at 2:30 PM, first come, first served.
Sunday, March 10
• Blue Dog (Chalfont, PA), 11 AM: First come, first served.
Monday, March 11
• Monk's Cafe, 11:30 AM: Annual Alex's Lemonade Stand fundraiser. Cash only, all proceeds go to charity. Last year's event raised $20,000.
Thursday, March 28
• Good Dog Bar, 3 PM
Where to Watch Super Bowl XLIX in Philadelphia
Drink Philly Valentine's Wine and Chocolate Pairing at Panorama, Feb. 11